Friday, July 20, 2018

Rafael Zavala - Clarksville TN Photo Ambassador

On today's blog I would like to introduce to you Rafael Zavala.

Q: Tell us a bit about yourself and your background, where you are from etc.
My name is Rafael Zavala, I’m 24 years old. I live in Cheatham County with my wife and dog. I work in Nashville as a dental assistant, which I’ve been doing for 5+ years. Photography is my passion. It’s honestly the one art I can comfortably say I do ok with.

Q: What camera do you shoot with?
I started with a Canon Rebel T5, but now shoot with a Canon 80D.

Q: What is your “go to” lens?
Canon EF-S f 2.8 18-55mm USM
I love this versatile thing.

Q: How and why did you get into photography?
I’ve always been interested in photography but didn’t get my first camera till a few years ago. My wife actually gifted it to me for our first-year anniversary. For weeks, I couldn’t put that camera down. Of course, I made my wife my first “model” and was constantly taking photos of her. I then started getting into landscape and nature photography, which are still my favorite styles of shooting.

Q: What places, states or countries have you gone shooting?
I haven’t ventured far out of Tennessee just yet. I’ve shot a lot of places locally – Clarksville, Ashland City, Nashville. My first big destination outside of the area was The Great Smoky Mountains.  My most recent adventure was to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, where I was able to capture “Kitchi-iti-Kipi” and the Mackinac Bridge.
I plan on traveling more, of course, but it’s tough with a full-time job and no time to do so!

Q: How often do you shoot and what is your favorite genre?
I feel I’m most active in spring and fall. I hate the heat, and it’s tough to shoot in the cold!
I try to shoot at least once a week when I’m in a rut. When I’m most active, I’ll shoot 3-5 times in a week.
Landscape photography is my favorite style of shooting.

Q: What is your favorite photo that you have taken and why? Please explain how you took it, was it all planned, if so, what was your planning process?
Ah, the golden question… this is such a tough one to answer. I like the quote by Imogen Cunningham, “Which of my photographs is my favorite? The one I’m going to take tomorrow.” There’s so much truth to this! (Granted, there are some images that end up being absolutely disappointing that you delete IMMEDIATELY after viewing on a bigger screen.) I’m constantly trying to do something different and avoid taking the same shot. This thought process, I feel, sharpens your eye and leads to better images.

I suppose I can say that currently, my favorite image is a shot I took in Northern Michigan of Mackinac Bridge. I had this image planned out in my head before I even left Tennessee. I knew exactly where I would stand, and that I’d make it a long exposure to soften the water. I got there and did just that. Honestly, things typically don’t work out that well. I guess I was lucky.

Q: What was the hardest thing you've learned in photography?
Another tough one! I’ve got two answers.
There’s the technical answer – Photoshop. Anyone who has attempted to use it can testify that its extremely intimidating at first. There’s still A LOT I have to learn about it that many consider basic, but I manage… for the most part. A good early lesson was to work non-destructively.

 The philosophical answer – “why does it matter?” I struggled (And still do) with this question. Why do we do it? Especially if our shots aren’t always getting the attention we think they deserve. It can be a bummer when you’re so excited about sharing a shot you are proud of but get no attention or exposure. It’s tough, but we have to swallow that pride and realize that we do it because we freaking love it. That is the only reason that truly matters. Not because 1 person double-tapped it, or 10,000 double-tapped. But because it resonates within you, and you’re passionate about this artform.

Q: What do you hope to still learn/improve?
I’m constantly trying to improve my composing of shots. It’s tough. Everyone always talks about the “rule of thirds” and so on, but I still struggle with it. Another thing I desperately need to improve on is the use of TTL flash. A majority of the time I attempt to use one, shots always have harsh shadows, or they’re overexposed. I tend to scrap these images and will rely on higher ISO, which can also be a slippery slope due to increased noise.

Q: What challenges you the most in photography?
This kinda goes hand in hand with an earlier question. I’d say myself. I constantly beat myself up and claim I’m not good enough, but I push through and keep creating. Photography isn’t just something I want to be ok in… truthfully, I want to make it my career. I use that ambition challenge myself to improve.

Q: What's one piece of advice you would give to someone starting out or early in their photography journey?
It’s clichĂ©, but do not give up! Any photographer, be it a hobbyist or professional, will tell you that mastering photography takes time, a lot of patience, and practice. Never stop learning, and always push your creativity. If you feel like you’re in a rut, try something different. If you primarily shoot nature, try still-life or food photography. Get outside of your comfort zone and keep those creative juices flowing. Your technique and skills are constantly getting polished, and you’d be amazed at how something you learned in one genre of photography can apply within other genres.

Q: Can you please share some of your favorite photos – say 3 max. and why you like them.
  • Mackinac Bridge, Northern Michigan – I drove 12 hours to get this shot, you better believe I made it worth that investment! The experience behind getting the shot was amazing on its own. It was late, (this shot was taken sometime around 12 am), there was a cool breeze and the waves were calmly crashing on the shore. I specifically love the soft glow around the bridge, and the soft reflection in the water.

  • Country Road in Southern Clarksville – I frequent this spot as there’s so much to take in: country fence, clear view of the setting sun, gravel road, agricultural fields. With this particular shot, I was in love with the ethereal and painterly vibes I was able to capture due to golden hour, and a light fog. I love the texture in the damp gravel and the reflection of that puddle.

  • Night Time in Clarksville TN  - This was my first attempt at urban photography. I’ve always loved long exposures of car lights, but until I took this photo, I hadn’t captured anything quite like this. I’m a huge fan of the colors you’re able to capture after dark; the contrast and the tones, too.

Feel free to contact Rafael Zavala on social media:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Austin Schrock

I would like to introduce to you Austin Schrock, one amazing and unique photographer, cinematographer and youtuber.  Q: Tell us a bit ab...