Friday, December 13, 2019

Austin Schrock

I would like to introduce to you Austin Schrock, one amazing and unique photographer, cinematographer and youtuber. 

Q: Tell us a bit about yourself and your background, where you are from etc.
My name is Austin Schrock, i am a photographer, and cinematographer, and I've been using a camera since i was 8. I'm from Athens TN which is where i was born and raised. 

Q: How and why did you get into photography?
I got into photography after becoming a cinematographer. Recording doesn't always require the thought "whats my composition in this shot" but with photography, composition should be the only thought that comes to mind. I suddenly realized that my photos don't look very good unless there is a clear composition. I became fascinated by this, which drove me to hone in on my skill of capturing exactly what i was envisioning.

Q: What camera do you shoot with and what is your “go to” lens?
I shoot with a 6D mark II. My go to lens is the 2.8 L series 16-35mm, for the ease and convenience of vlogging, and the wide angle landscape photography abilities. That being said, I absolutely love shooting portraits with the 50mm at about 1.4-1.6 f stop for that smooth creamy background.

Q: How often do you shoot and what is your favorite genre?
I usually find time to take 3-5 trips a year to shoot. Whether that's a different country, or just exploring a new location for a day. My favorite genre would be nature. In nature photography it is very difficult to find a solid composition, while at the same time keeping it unique.

Q: What challenges you the most in photography?
The thing that challenges me the most is manipulating my camera so that it will take the picture i have created from scratch inside my mind. 

Q: What places, states or countries have you gone shooting?
London, Rome Italy, The Vatican City, Montana (Going to the Sun Road) and Banff National Park

Q: What is your favorite photo that you have taken and why? Please explain how you took it, was it all planned, if so, what was your planning process?
My favorite photo I've taken, was in Banff, at the Lake Agnes Tea House. It was the last photo i expected to be my favorite before the trip. But as i climbed the 2.5 miles up the mountain at 6 am for that crystal clear, mirroring lake i could feel it. With mist rising, a perfect reflection of the shear cliffs all around the lake, i knew i had just captured something id never see again.

Q: What was the hardest thing you've learned in photography?
The hardest thing I've learned from photography, is to see through the eye of the camera. We've all done it, where we see something beautiful or majestic, whip out our camera and snap a shot, and in Lightroom it looks nothing like what your eyes were picking up. The point of a camera is not to capture what your eye is seeing. The relationship between your eye and the camera is like that of a triangle; both points lead up to a single point (the picture) but the way your eye and the camera see that are from two different angles. At first i thought this was a disadvantage, but once i learned to shoot through the eye of the camera, i suddenly realized that this was a way of capturing something that only this exact camera and lens were capable of creating. Honestly it's kind of like a superpower.

Q: What do you hope to still learn/improve?
I would love to learn how to do model photography, but outside the box. @brandonwoelfel is a perfect example of that, which is where i draw a lot of inspiration.
The thing that challenges me the most is manipulating my camera so that it will take the picture i have created from scratch inside my mind.


Q: What's one piece of advice you would give to someone starting out or early in their photography journey?
The only thing i would tell them is never NEVER EVER shoot in anything but MANUAL. You don't need training wheels my friend. Your gonna suck at first. But we all did, and when we learn how to use a camera in manual it becomes your personal weapon of mass awesomeness. With time you will know exactly what the picture will look like before you even turn it on. One photographer told me "Son... you have to make that camera your B**** " I wouldn't go that far lol but he speaks some truth. You have to own it, you should never feel out of control, and you must know exactly what your camera is telling you at all times. It takes hours of shooting (in manual) but let me tell you, when you can run your camera inside out, backwards and upside down, it feels AMAZING, and is worth every second. 

Q: Can you please share some of your favorite photos – say 3 max. and why you like them?
I can't say exactly why i love all these photos. It's just that feeling of peace right as you press the button and you just know it's gonna be perfect!







Feel free to reach out to Austin if you would like to collaborate either be photography or shooting a video.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Austin Schrock

I would like to introduce to you Austin Schrock, one amazing and unique photographer, cinematographer and youtuber.  Q: Tell us a bit ab...